We all do strange things… don’t try and tell me you don’t! But recently I have started to become more aware of some of these things and even question as to why I actually do them. I can’t really answer that, but I thought I’d share my observations with you…
- I frequently get in a lift, only for someone to get in after me on another floor, then when I get out I say ‘thank you’ to them as I leave. What am I thanking them for?! I don’t even know. It doesn’t make sense. But I just sort of can’t help myself.
- Sometimes when I get my nails done, they ask me if it’s ok. Sometimes it’s not, and I tell them so they can fix it. But if they still don’t get it right it just gets embarrassing. So I smile and thank them, pay them and then go home and file my nails just the way I like them myself.
- Sometimes I go into a weird autopilot thing when I ask how someone is, only to find myself asking them again after they’ve just finished telling me how they are. Awkward…
- I often say sorry when someone bumps into me. Even when it was clearly their fault. I think that’s the British in me.
- That thing when you don’t catch someone’s name and it goes on so long it becomes really awkward. I once met a girl at a running club in London and I didn’t catch her name. In fairness, she had one of those Irish names that’s difficult to pronounce, so after the umpteenth time of her repeating it I may just have nodded to show I’d understood. I really hadn’t understood and for the rest of the time we ran together I had to avoid using her name at all costs. Don’t ask me what I stored her number in my phone under. But the worst part was when we ran a 10km race together about six weeks or so later and my Mum had come to watch me. Let’s just say the introductions were very uncomfortable.
- Sometimes I feel like my phone is vibrating in my pocket or bag so I have to take a look and check I’m not missing a call – even though I know I don’t have the vibrate setting activated on my phone.
- Sometimes I write things on my to do list after I’ve done them, just for the satisfaction of crossing them off the list.
So there you have it, my confessions of strange things I do sometimes. Do you do any of these things? Let me know about the odd things you do!